Thursday, April 8, 2010

The tone of this post is "frustration." I am currently reading two books: Dean Freiday's Nothing Without Christ and David Kinnaman's unChristian. I just finished a section in Nothing Without Christ where Freiday lays out Arthur O. Robert's understanding of Fox's vision of the "Church Restored." What an idyllic and wonderful vision of the Church! And then I read through unChristian, which details how screwed up American Christianity is. How wonderful the Christian Church could be, and yet how misguided and distracted it is! This alone would cause any sensitive Christian to dispair, but what adds to my frustration is that I see my own church, my own brothers and sisters in Christ, much more like what is described in unChristian than what is presented by Roberts and Fox. I want to do something with my frustration, but I have no idea what to do or where to begin. I am not hopeless; but it feels like I've been given a tangled bird's nest of fishing line the size of a basketball, and I'm being asked to untangle it. What to do? Where to begin?

No comments:

Post a Comment